Sunday, January 20, 2008

Line Theory

My friends and I from Williams, back in the day, thought up and developed over time what we called Line Theory. It became clear to us that there had to be unseen lines throughout the world. Lines that had considerable control over our everyday decisions.

I believe it started when we would go out for lunch to a restaurant that was not near work. We noticed that the clientele was measurably more attractive than the patrons of the restaurants near work. Over time it was clear that we were crossing some form of line. Crossing into a land where the attractive people were.

I will have to be honest the people were I worked were not that attractive. Sorry guys. Once in a while we would hire someone that was attractive. Most of them would not stay long, sadly. They would suddenly find a better job somewhere else soon after starting with us. It is clear to me now that it was the lines at work. Attractive people were not aloud to stay on our side of the line for too long.

Over time, as we developed the theory, we decided that there had to be more than one line. To the trained eye we could discern a couple jumps in attractiveness as we drove away from work and therefore there had to be more than one line. At this point I began to envision the lines like elevations on a topography map.

Was Williams at the center? I don't think so. There were one or two attractive people that stayed at Williams for extended periods. I think this proves that we were not at the center. Thank God.

The BIG question never fully answered was: How much did the "lines" affect and enable us getting and keeping the jobs we had at Williams? We may never know.

So now I have to ask you: Which side of the line do you live on?

2 comments:

Joyce said...

Hey , beauty is only skin deep . Haven't you heard that Beauty is as Beauty does . I live on the beauty side of the line .
Very interesting topic . I understand more knowing how creative you are . Mom

Anonymous said...

Wow, I had forgotten about the Lines! All the debate that ensued and the dividing of the world...

Lately I've been walking as part of my journey to/from work and I think of you because when I cross the road I remember your comment, "When you arrive at an intersection you can go one of two ways."