Friday, March 7, 2008

Wake up call

These are edited excerpts from my personal journal that I wanted to share.

WARNING this article contains adult content.
-------------------------------------------
THURSDAY - 2/28
Apparently at lunch-time recess, at David's school, a grade school bully was kicking ice at David over and over again. Despite David repeatedly telling him to stop. At some point Zach sees this and intervenes. This is great because it means Zach cares some for David, or just hates bullies. Zach tells him to stop and draws the attention. After a moment he pushes Zach resulting in Zach using his Hapkido knowledge to throw him on to the ground. It turned out that Zach is a black-belt and has been learning it since 2nd grade. He and David are in fifth grade now.

Anna learns all this from Zach's mother and Anna then suggest to her that David tags along with Zach at a Hapkido class. It turned out there was one that night. Zach and his father go 3 times per week. David and James went and they liked it a lot. David said it was a tough work out and he and Zach threw each other on to mats.

He wants to start taking classes also, three times a week. I think this is a great idea.


FRIDAY - 2/29
Anna went to see "The other Boleyn Girl" with some of her friends.

David lost a tooth at dinner. We put it in a little baggy and then under his pillow for the tooth fairy.

Soon after I put the boys to bed the phone rang. It was Private Name / Private Number. As a rule I normally do not answer those but since it was about 9:20 pm I thought it couldn’t be a telemarketer and maybe it had something to do with Anna. So I answered it. It was a young male voice asking for David. I asked who it was "Rashid" is what it sounded like. I don’t know about any of David's friends by that name. I told them that David could not come to the phone and could I take a message. There was a pause. Then a deeper voice gets on the phone "Please give David this message: Tell him I want him to anal fuck me. I want him to anal fuck me hard all night long." I was stunned. I said nothing and the person didn’t hang up until after a few seconds. Which I now find disturbing. If it was someone new to talking like this to strange adults it seems they would have hung up immediately. They were waiting for a reaction from me. Hoping for one. I am glad they didn’t get it. I said nothing and after a few seconds they hung up.

First I tried to use *69 but it didn’t do anything. I was hoping an adult would answer. I had not tried that in years so I am not even sure if I can without paying an extra fee which I am sure I do not pay. I then called the police. It turns out in my town you need to call 911 even if it is not an emergency. I told the police what happened and that I wanted to file a report. Within a few minutes they had a policeman at my door. I think it was the same officer that gave me a ticket a few months ago for rolling through a stop sign.

I told him what happened and he agreed with what I was thinking that it probably had to do with the playground incident. He gave me the number of the report that will be filed.

After all this I forgot to be the tooth fairy!


THRUSDAY - 3/6
David and I went for a walk and I told him there is no Tooth Fairy. "I know dad. I started to suspect when I got a carwash token!" He had a big grin on his face and it was a good moment. I told him that most kids loose all their baby teeth long before 11 years old and that the tooth fairy was invented to keep little kids from being too worried about the whole process of losing their teeth. I also told him not to tell James who has not lost a tooth yet.
-------------------------------

Ok I can explain the carwash token. In my den I have a glass jug with lots of loose change in it. When it is time to be the tooth fairy I grab a large handful from the jug, sneak into my sons room and swap it for the tooth. There must have been a token in the jar that night.


Innocents lost –
Months ago I was trying to decide when to have “THE TALK” with David. I decided next summer before he begins middle school. I have heard from multiple sources that in middle school the swear-word lexicon increases exponentially and I want David to be prepared for that and not look foolish. How can I explain terms without having “The Talk”? You can’t. So I planned to wait as long as I could before moving David a few steps away from innocent.

After this phone call sadly I realize I might be a bit too late. Clearly there are clumps of fifth graders that know quite a bit of lexicon.


My master plan was already altered some last Month:

MONDAY - 2/11
I talked with David about some things he learned in a Puberty class at School. He didn’t request it but I wanted to make sure he didn’t have any questions and was just not asking them. We went over a few terms from the glossary of the booklet that came home; wet dreams, sperm, erections, testicles. It was not that uncomfortable for me but David still didn’t seem to have any questions.
------------------

I now wonder if I should move up at least more parts of “The Talk” to explain to David more terms?

No comments: