Friday, March 21, 2008

Imminent doom

A raging war is going on inside me at this very minute. Go on look closer. Behind my eyes. See it yet? No? Ok, let me help.

For those that do not know me I can be a very strongly opinionated person. I prefer to call it stubborn. The problem is I often know I am right and when you know you are right why should you let others persuade you otherwise?

The dilemma occurring is because of a long standing rule I have is being tested. You see, I have a deep seeded apathy for movies that are not complete stories when they end.

To appreciate my mind set here is some background. In the summer of 1977 I was 12 years old and my parents took me to see Star Wars! It changed me forever. I formed a religion in my head that day. I became a card carrying member of the Star Wars faith.

In January during the Academy Awards “Annie Hall” won for best picture. Beating out Star Wars! To this day I resent “Annie Hall” and I have never seen it.

When “The Empire Strikes Back” came out I could not wait to see it. Riveted to my seat “Luke Join Me, Together as…”. THEN it ends and is clearly not finished!? What is that about?

Today when I am asked to put the 6 episodes in order I put #5 near the bottom because I still take off lots of points for being incomplete. I know that now it is so common place it kind of feels silly complaining about it. But I feel movies are expensive and if I pay the $20 per person (because you have to have popcorn, a soda, and M&Ms) you should get a complete experience before you leave.

So let’s review: I do not like movies that are incomplete because my parents took me to see Star Wars when I was 12 and impressionable scarring me for life.


Now enter stage left recent news that the upcoming Harry Potter 7 movie will be split into two parts “because it has so much content”. It really does have a lot of content.

I am a huge Harry Potter fan. I have all the books. I went to get them at the midnight book store parties. I have read them 3 to 5 times each. I have seen the 5 movies that are out each several times at the theater and on DVD.

So you can see where this is going. I have an irresistible force meeting with an indestructible object within! How do I allow myself to like the 7th movies? The 7th book is my favorite and I know the movie won’t be as great as the book but will be good.

In an effort to settle this; I am trying to figure out where in book #7 I would end the first half of the movie. Maybe it will be ok?

WARNING - Harry Potter 7 spoilers follow.

So here is what I am thinking. I would end the first movie with the death of Dobby. It’s a bit sad I know but you get a great climax with the heroes escaping from Malfoy’s Manor after a good battle scene.

This would put lots of action in the first half movie: The battle of seven Harrys, escaping from the wedding, the planning and attack on the Ministry of Magic, the battle with Voldermont in Harry’s home town, getting the Gryffindor sword and then being captured by the Malfoys and finally escaping. Dobby would die as they look to the future. The end. Bah, it would suck but it would be full of fun.

The second half movie would start the trio planning to break into Gringotts, inside the vault, the escape on the dragon, the battle in Hogsmead, and then we would see the whole Dumbledore story.

Maybe splitting the 7th book won’t be so bad. The previous 6 books were very tied to a structure. Harry starts a school year and adventure happens as the school year goes by. Splitting one of them would be awkward, it would be clear the year didn’t end. The 7th book has no predefined structure.

Anyway thanks for listening.

No comments: