Friday, February 15, 2008

Quality time ROCKS


These are my boys and I love doing things with them. At least in short spurts. Sometimes long spurts too.

Last Saturday Anna was away and I was not feeling well all morning. At lunch time the boys and I went to Panera for some soup. It was over $20 for 3 soups in bread bowls plus 3 drinks. Its the drinks where they have really been gouging you lately. We need to find some place for cheaper soup.

Anyway while we were eating the power went out for the whole block. Panera had to stop takeing orders and turn new people away. It was ok for us because we already had our food and were seated. While plenty of light was coming in through the windows, it added a bit of adventure to our spirits. I could tell that David and James heart rates were elevated a bit.

David got up from the table and said he had to go to the bathroom. I thought this should be interesting. He was back pretty soon afraid to go to the bath room in the dark. I asked David if it was #1 or #2. Parents often have to ask this so we know how urgent it might be. "Dad, I went #2 this morning didn't you hear the dog?" I was afraid to ask what that meant but I suspected that since one of our toilets has been making a weird noise when it is flushed caused the dog to bark.

Then James and I started describing scenes of running water for David. "dripping faucet", "Niagara falls", "Flowing river", "water slides". Dad tell me again where we going after lunch?" James knew it was the car wash.

David was squirming a bit so we continued: "Cascading water over the car", "Tidal waves", then James says "Meteor Shower!" We all cracked up. David asked what number would that be THREE?!

Then I started make sounds of a meteor shower and we all cracked up even louder. It was a really good sustained laugh. The other people in the restaurant were looking at us.

I asked the boys if the dog barked at a #2 what would he do for a #3? But I answered my own question by making sounds of a cowering-whimpering dog followed by more sounds of a meteor striking nearby.

It was a great quality time for the three of us.

(PS - When I could not get a refill for my drink Panera people gave me a bottle of soda for free which I thought was nice)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"It was a really good sustained laugh. The other people in the restaurant were looking at us." - That often happens to me too when we're hanging out! :)

Cameron.